Arts & Entertainment
Ecumenical service for World AIDS Day
Originally printed 11/25/2010 (Issue 1847 - Between The Lines News)
The seventh annual World AIDS Day Ecumenical Service will take place Dec. 1 at Zion Lutheran Church in Ferndale. The service is an offspring of the traditional People Who Care About People With AIDS Christmas service. People Who Care endured for 20 years until its founder, Rev. Rod Reinhart, moved to Chicago in 2004. At that time, members of the planning committee adopted the name World AIDS Day Ecumenical Service and moved the event to Dec. 1.
Delivering the sermon at this year's service will be Rev. DaVita McAllister of Atlanta. The service will also feature performances by the Sing Out choir and the Paul & Roland duet. Concelebrants will include Rev. Ronchele Andres of Full Truth Fellowship of Christ Church, Rev. Rick Beattie of Renaissance Unity, Rev. Deb. Dysert and Rev. Kevin Kinsel of Metropolitan Community Church, Rev. Selma Massey of Whosoever Ministries, Rev. Trina Phenix of New Beginnings and Rev. Rony Veska of First United Methodist Church.
In addition to the service, there will be confidential rapid HIV testing available from 4-7 p.m. and Where We Are in the World of AIDS, an expert panel discussion with Drs. Norman Markowitz and Indira Brar from Henry Ford Hospital as well as a pharmacological update with John Dilodovic.
A reception, hosted by the Motor City Bears, will follow. Attendees are encouraged to bring a new blanket as a donation for those living with AIDS.
Zion Lutheran Church is located at 143 Albany Street in Ferndale.
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality