LGBT issues included in EU accession reports
by Rex Wockner
Originally printed 11/18/2010 (Issue 1846 - Between The Lines News)
LGBT issues figure prominently in the European Commission's Nov. 9 progress reports on the hoped-for addition to the European Union of Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Iceland, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Turkey.
The report on Croatia notes that LGBT people face threats and attacks that are inadequately investigated by the authorities. Macedonia's report points out that the nation's laws do not provide adequate nondiscrimination protections.
Turkey violates the human rights of, in particular, transgender people, its report said. Albania and Montenegro ban anti-gay discrimination but need to do more to prevent actual discriminatory incidents, their reports said.
"We welcome the way in which the human rights of LGBT people are raised in this year's progress reports and encourage the commission to continue asserting the principles of nondiscrimination and equality in accession negotiations with the countries," said Lilit Poghosyan, senior programs and policy officer for ILGA-Europe, the European Region of the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association.
It is a requirement of EU membership that a nation have legal protections against anti-gay discrimination.
- Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort
- Air Conditioning/Heating
- Hinson Heating & Air Conditioning
- Campus; Student and Alumni Groups
- GVSU LGBT Resource Center
- Foundations and Funders
- The Arcus Foundation/Kalamazoo
- Tapper's Diamonds & Fine Jewelry
- NATIONAL HOME LENDING dba Gold Star Financial
- National Organizations
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association
- Real Estate/Agent
- Coldwell Banker Weir Manuel
- Masonic Temple Theater
- Women's Health
- Sexual Health Services, Planned Parenthood of West and Northern Michigan
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- LeAnn Rimes Q&A: 'Eddie & I Are A Gay Man's Wet Dream'
- Q&A: Bill Hader Talks Gay Kisses ('Paul Rudd Tastes Like Chicken') & Trans Sketch ('Sorry')
- Why Jason Mraz Won't Kiss & Tell: 'I've Spoken Up For The Things That Are Important To Me'
"The Ghosts in Our Machine" is a powerful 2013 feature documentary about animal rights, made accessible through the photos and personal journey of well-known international photographer Jo-Anne McArthur and lesbian filmmaker Liz Marshall.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!