Fire destroys center for young gay men
HIV prevention program R.E.C. Boyz now without home, supplies
By Jan Stevenson
Originally printed 8/19/2010 (Issue 1833 - Between The Lines News)
DETROIT - For many young, gay black men there are few places they can call home, and it just got a little worse for them last week when the R.E.C. Boyz Center, a home-away-from-home for so many, was destroyed by a fire.
"Our program associates are very young men who are mostly from our client base," said Barbara Murray, executive director of AIDS Partnership Michigan. "They all looked just stunned. This had been their space."
The apparent electrical fire ignited sometime during the night of Aug. 17 and ravaged the R.E.C. Boyz Center, located at 1959 E. Jefferson in about 4,000 square feet of loft space. The center was located in a building about a block and a half from its parent organization, APM. No one was in the building at the time of the fire. The building is owned by an investor in New York and managed by Exclusive Realty in Detroit.
Although insurance will cover much of the tangible losses, Murray said it's the intangibles that will be the hardest to replace. All the HIV/AIDS counseling and testing supplies were destroyed, as were all office supplies, paper and R.E.C. Boyz organizational sweatshirts, book bags and T-shirts. The collection of used clothing available for young people is gone, as are the office computers and their files.
The three full-time R.E.C. Boyz staffers are being temporarily housed at APM's offices, and Murray said she is trying to secure a meeting space in the area so the programs can resume as soon as possible.
Now in its fourth year, The R.E.C. Boyz Project (R.E.C. is an acronym for Real Enough to Change) is an award-winning program, federally funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It is considered to be one of the top-five HIV prevention programs in the country, targeting young black men between the ages of 13 and 24 who have sex with other men. It is based on a peer-driven model with about 150 youth participating at any given time. The focus is on HIV testing and counseling, both to educate and prevent HIV infection and to get any youth who test positive into treatment as quickly as possible.
If you would like to help the R.E.C. Boyz Center recover from this fire, go to http://www.aidspartnership.org and click on the red ribbon icon that says "I want to help the R.E.C. Boyz."
- Legislators Call For Legal Protections For LGBT Michiganders
- Michigan's SCOTUS Courtside Campers
- Video: James Toy reflects on Marriage Equality Hearings
- State Senate Committee Passes Adoption Discrimination Bills
- State Capitol Candlelight Vigil Tonight Supporting Marriage Equality
- GOP Senate Source: MiRFRA Will Have Hearing Tuesday April 28, No Vote Expected
- Oakland University To Offer Gender Studies Minor
- Michigan Womyn's Fest Says 2015 Is Last Year
- The Road After SCOTUS Decision
- Advocates And Academics Advance Equality At Inaugural 'Research To Action' Conference
- National Organizations Pull Support From Michfest Petition
- Obituary: Marvin Marks
- New Case Study to Michigan Lawmakers: 'Don't Repeat The Mistakes Of Indiana'
- Marriage Equality March Downtown Flint
- Emily Dievendorf Announces Campaign For Lansing City Council
- Dieseltec Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Controversial Anti-LGBT Mechanic Has Checkered Past
- Pro-Gay Protestors at Dieseltec - GALLERY
- Supporters of DieselTec - GALLERY
- Embassy Suites Troy
- Alzheimer's Association
- Alzheimer's Association - Michigan Chapter
- Auto Collision
- Autometric Body Shops
- Florists/Floral Design
- Fleurtech Floral Architechture Designs
- Foundations and Funders
- The Arcus Foundation/Kalamazoo
- Heating & Cooling
- Hinson Heating & Air Conditioning
- Religious & Spiritual
- First Congregational United Church of Christ
- First United Methodist Church
- Social/Community Organizations
- Al Gamea
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Anti-Gay Company Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Q&A: Reba Talks 'Very Important' LGBT Rights, Her First Gay Wedding & Feeling 'Sad' For Closeted Country Stars
- Q&A: Scott Eastwood Endorses Father's Gay Marriage Mantra, Talks Sex Scenes ('I Was Turned On') & Mel Gibson's Advice
- Is GoFundMe The New Welfare For Anti-Gay Corporations?
- Josh Groban Q&A: His Queer Bear Fans, Failing The Ryan Gosling 'Gay Test' & Why He Worships RuPaul
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!