Arts & Entertainment
Partnerships in Parenting group beginning at Affirmations
Originally printed 7/30/2010 (Issue 1830 - Between The Lines News)
On July 12, Affirmations LGBT community center announced the launch of a new discussion group, Partnerships in Parenting, which aims to promote the importance of relationship and family development for LGBT parents and their children in Metro Detroit and the surrounding areas. Their goal is to build stronger connections among parents and children within the LGBTQ community through social networking and community outreach. The group kicks off Saturday, July 31 from 11:45 a.m.-2 p.m. at Affirmations.
The first session is planned as a relaxed meet-and-greet for parents and children to discover more about the group's mission and provide suggestions and input to guide the future of the group. Guest speakers from United Way will be on hand to discuss services such as childcare and educational assistance.
Ongoing group sessions will include discussion of ways to improve relationships with life partners and children as a way to manage the challenges of handling societal and environmental influences that can strain family connections.
Partnerships in Parenting also intends to provide information for those seeking to start a family.
"The concept of Partnerships in Parenting was created based on the challenges of balancing parenthood and maintaining a relationship," said group facilitator Ky Tisaby.
Adds co-facilitator Kat Walls, "It's important for parents to know that we are here from them because we understand."
Those interested can email Ky Tisaby at email@example.com to be added to a list for group updates, monthly events and scheduled meeting dates and times. Although Partnerships in Parenting caters to the diversity of LGBTQ parents, all are welcomed. For more information about Partnerships in Parenting, visit Affirmations' website at http://www.goaffirmations.org.
- Marriage Supporters, Protestors Brave Cold At Courthouse
- Brown Says Schuette Instructed Clerks To Defy Court
- Peers Distance Themselves As Regnerus Takes The Stand
- Federal Marriage Case Decisions Outside Michigan In Circuit Court of Appeals
- Detroit Police Announce LGBT Liaison
- Obamacare Education And Enrollment Event
- Upcoming Holocaust Center Program To Look At Worldwide LGBT Rights
- Michigan Marriage Equality Trial Begins Second Week
- Gala Celebrates Progress, Mourns Founder
- Emotional Outpouring For Marriage At Equality Cabaret
- Wayne County Adds LGBT Protections
- PUGH UPDATE: Civil Suit Coming, Seeks $1 Million In Damages
- Between Ourselves: Meet Affirmations Development Director Angela Gabridge
- LGBTQ and Allies to Peacefully Protest Catholic Conference
- ACCESS Opens Healthcare Enrollment Assistance To Public
- MSU 2014 LGBT Scholarship Applications Available
- Charles Pugh: An In-Depth Look At The Rise And Fall Of A Local LGBT Hero
- Affirmations Receives $800,000 Bequest
- Equality-Supporting County Clerks Among Catalyst Award Winners
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit