Arts & Entertainment
Partnerships in Parenting group beginning at Affirmations
Originally printed 7/30/2010 (Issue 1830 - Between The Lines News)
On July 12, Affirmations LGBT community center announced the launch of a new discussion group, Partnerships in Parenting, which aims to promote the importance of relationship and family development for LGBT parents and their children in Metro Detroit and the surrounding areas. Their goal is to build stronger connections among parents and children within the LGBTQ community through social networking and community outreach. The group kicks off Saturday, July 31 from 11:45 a.m.-2 p.m. at Affirmations.
The first session is planned as a relaxed meet-and-greet for parents and children to discover more about the group's mission and provide suggestions and input to guide the future of the group. Guest speakers from United Way will be on hand to discuss services such as childcare and educational assistance.
Ongoing group sessions will include discussion of ways to improve relationships with life partners and children as a way to manage the challenges of handling societal and environmental influences that can strain family connections.
Partnerships in Parenting also intends to provide information for those seeking to start a family.
"The concept of Partnerships in Parenting was created based on the challenges of balancing parenthood and maintaining a relationship," said group facilitator Ky Tisaby.
Adds co-facilitator Kat Walls, "It's important for parents to know that we are here from them because we understand."
Those interested can email Ky Tisaby at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to a list for group updates, monthly events and scheduled meeting dates and times. Although Partnerships in Parenting caters to the diversity of LGBTQ parents, all are welcomed. For more information about Partnerships in Parenting, visit Affirmations' website at http://www.goaffirmations.org.
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality