Arts & Entertainment
Wanda Sykes visits Ruth Ellis Center
Out comedian makes stealth drop-in to LGBT youth center while on tour in Detroit
Originally printed 7/8/2010 (Issue 1827 - Between The Lines News)
HIGHLAND PARK -
Comedian and actress Wanda Sykes took time out of her busy schedule while touring in Detroit on June 12 to visit with residents, youth, alumni and employees of Ruth Ellis Center. Sykes was scheduled to spend one hour at Ruth Ellis Center, but ended up dedicating more than two and a half hours to telling her story as a prominent lesbian in the international eye, and listening to the experiences of Detroit's LGBTQ youth.
Members of the audience asked Sykes several intimate questions regarding her lifestyle, to which she answered very candidly - and with a touch of humor, of course. Sykes did not come out publicly until she was 40 and told the youth that she is impressed by their ability to be open and honest earlier in life. She recommended, though, that people should be comfortable with who they are before they come out.
When asked if she has more gay people in her audiences now that she is publicly known to be a lesbian, she replied, "No, but the LGBTQ crowd is now much louder."
For more information about the Ruth Ellis Center, visit http://www.ruthelliscenter.org or become a fan on Facebook.
- Judge Takes Up Ban On Domestic Partner Benefits
- Motor City Pride Line-Up Includes 'Glee' Star, Erasure's Andy Bell
- Helping Transgender Population Find Jobs
- MI AG, Lawyers Disagree Over Gay Marriage Appeal Path
- Detroit Fashion Designer DL Perrett Presents Neon Valley Streets Event
- Jim Toy Center To Honor Congressman Dingell
- Modern Works of Art for Sale This Weekend
- Hoadley To Seek LGBT Support At May 3 Detroit Fundraiser
- Inclusive Justice Conference Coming Up
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show