Competing casino proposals race to get on Nov. ballot
Originally printed 6/17/2010 (Issue 1824 - Between The Lines News)
One group is charging toward the finish line while the other appears stuck in the starting blocks as two groups race to get their casino gaming proposal on the November ballot.
The two groups, Michigan is Yours and Racing to Save Michigan, are competing to place initiatives on November's ballot allowing new casinos in the state. Each group needs to collect 386,000 signatures before a July 5 deadline.
The Michigan is Yours group appears to be ahead, and their spokesman expressed confidence that they will garner more than enough signatures to get their proposal on the November ballot. Meanwhile, leaders of Racing to Save Michigan have said publicly they may have to wait until 2012 for their initiative.
Michigan is Yours is co-chaired by Benton Harbor Mayor Wilce Cooke and former Detroit Gaming Commissioner Frank Stella. MIY is seeking to put casinos in Detroit, Flint, Lansing, Benton Harbor, Muskegon, Port Huron and at Detroit Metropolitan Airport. The group also wants to allow sports betting at all new casinos.
Under the MIY proposal, the seven casinos would have to pay a wagering tax on their adjusted gross receipts of 19 percent or less, which would go toward fully funding the state's Pure Michigan national tourism campaign, the Michigan Promise Grant program and help to support public schools and local and county governments where the casinos are built.
"Our casino proposal has the capacity to bring jobs and economic development to some of the hardest hit regions in Michigan," said Trevor Sarter, spokesman for MIY. "We want to include everyone in Michigan, and we invite them to join our diverse coalition of supporters."
MIY has hired two professional signature-gathering firms and has reached out to labor unions, ethnically diverse groups and the LGBT community to help get the necessary signatures to get the proposal on the ballot this November.
"We are confident, we are excited and we are determined to be successful with more than enough signatures," said Sarter.
Racing to Save Michigan's proposal is to add three new casinos around the state and add casino gaming to Michigan's five licensed racetracks: Hazel Park Harness Raceway, Northville Downs, Swartz Creek's Sports Creek Raceway, Pinnacle Race Course in Van Buren Township and Mount Pleasant Meadows. Their proposal also calls for wagering tax to help fund education, local municipalities and county level governments.
- Same-Sex Marriage Goes To The Supreme Court
- U.S. Syphilis Rates Increased By 10 Percent In 2013
- Controversy Over UMS Award To Russian Orchestra
- Equality Michigan Accepting Applications For Internships
- Ferndale Pride Seeks Sponsors And Vendors
- Attention Michigan LGBT Career Seekers
- Filmmaker To Speak On LGBT, Black Intersectionality
- Warren To Speak At Upcoming ELCRA Panel
- Become A Vendor At LGBT Wedding Expo
- SCOTUS To Hear Same-Sex Marriage Cases In Historic Decision
- Marriage Of 300 Same-Sex Couples Ruled Valid In Michigan
- Fostering Children Only Temporary Bandage To Same-Sex Adoption Restrictions In Michigan
- Lesbian Fights For Custody Rights Of Children
- From Selma To Detroit And The Importance Of Intersectionality
- Local Jewish Author Highlights Dangers Of Police Discrimination
- Banquet Hall/Catering
- Detroit Marriott Livonia
- Grand Traverse Resort & Casinos
- Credit Union
- Michigan State University Federal Credit Union (MSUFCU)
- Esquire Interiors
- Blue Moon Videos/DVD
- Families and Parents
- Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians & Gays (PFLAG) National Office
- Moving Companies
- National Organizations
- Human Rights Campaign
- Religious & Spiritual
- Metropolitan Community Church of Flint
- Wake's Travel - Cruise Planners
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Kathy Griffin Reveals Death-Related Talk With Joan Rivers, Plans To Get Fired From 'Fashion Police' & Cher's Health
- Missing Person Found In Metro Detroit
- Exclusive! 'Looking' Star Russell Tovey On Sex Scenes, His Famous Butt & That Rimming Cake
- EXCLUSIVE! Gwen Stefani On Why She Paints Her Boys' Nails, Meeting Gays 'Late In Life' & Her (Lack Of) Girl Crushes
- Q&A: Harvey Fierstein Opens Up On The Success Of 'Kinky Boots,' His 'Legendary Disaster' & 'Insulting' Double Standards
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!