Update: 'Laramie Project' anti-gay heckler identified as Michigan Assistant Attorney General
by Jessica Carreras
Originally printed 5/20/2010 (Issue 1820 - Between The Lines News)
The anti-gay heckler present at the May 8 "Laramie Project" rally to counteract Westboro Baptist Church has been identified as Michigan Assistant Attorney General Andrew Shirvell. Shirvell was seen at the rally calling University of Michigan's openly gay student body President Chris Armstrong a "racist liar."
Shirvell, a University of Michigan graduate and Ave Maria School of Law 2006 alum, is known for his history of vocal and written protests against abortion, LGBT rights and the election of Democrats, including President Barack Obama, whom Shirvell claimed in a pre-election Facebook post would support pro-choice advocates, as well as "promote the destruction of marriage by appointing activist judges."
A licensed lawyer. Shirvell has worked under Attorney General Mike Cox for several years and served as his campaign manager for Cox's 2006 reelection. Cox, a Republican, is currently making a run for governor of Michigan.
Shirvell caught the attention of Michigan's LGBT community when, according to the Michigan Messenger, he posted a piece on RightMichigan.com bashing then-Triangle Foundation Director of Policy Sean Kosofsky. He later exchanged words with Joe Sylvester of the Log Cabin Republicans.
Then, on Feb. 7 of this year, a blog called "Cox Watch" purported to have e-mails between Shirvell and the Log Cabin Republicans where he was again slamming the group. "You are all sick freaks," the Feb. 3 e-mail from Shirvell began. He went on to say of LCR that "the grassroots will never let you and your butt-buddies ... hijack our pro-life, pro-family (Republican) party in pursuit of your perverted radical homosexual agenda."
A second e-mail from Shirvell stated that, "What I do on my own time - during lunch or here at home - is my business," suggesting that his activism is something he partakes in while in the attorney general's office in Lansing.
Michigan Log Cabin Republicans' Sylvester confirmed the e-mails, which were sent to him, as well as Justin Wilson and Tyler Whitney.
Shirvell's latest anti-gay heckling of UM student president Armstrong at the May 8 rally was met with calls for ignoring him. Some, however, didn't. Washtenaw County Commissioner Jeff Irwin, who is running for state representative in his district, called Shirvell a "bozo" at the event and attempted to take his poster, which read "Chris Armstrong = Racist LIAR" and reported Armstrong's affiliation with the Order of Angell, a by-invitation-only honors society at UM.
On his blog, "Chris Armstrong Watch," Shirvell referred to Armstrong as a "viciously militant homosexual activist" and contended that he, along with other participants in the "Laramie" counter-protest were "mocking Christians."
- Honoring The Death Of Trans Sisters And Brothers
- Trans In Michigan? The ACLU Wants To Hear From You
- Schuette Wants State's 300 Same-Sex Marriages Voided
- Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Expansion Precarious
- Renowned Gay Writers To Visit Ann Arbor
- New MI Group Aims To Pass Fully Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
- Facebook Community Reacts To 6th Circuit Ruling
- Pay It Forward This Holiday Season
- Federal Court Rules 2011 Law Prohibiting Domestic Partner Benefits Unconstitutional
- States In 6th Circuit Request SCOTUS Review
- AT&T National 'Will Only Support Fully Inclusive Bill' On Civil Rights
- Michigan GOP Pushes Non-Inclusive Elliott-Larsen Amendment
- Upcoming Community Michigan LGBT Marriage Conversations
- Statewide Campaign For Gender Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
- The Long Shot Move To Pass Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
- Jeremy Moss To Be Next State House Representative
- People Of Faith Invited To Community Conversation
- Obituary: Ernest B. Gutierrez 'Tito'
- Michigan's Marriage Ban Draws Strong Reaction
- Jon Hoadley: Next State House Rep. District 60
- Sing Out Detroit Chorus
- Community Centers
- Jim Toy Community Center
- Fully Licensed Clinical Psychologist
- Plymouth Nursery
- Martial Arts
- Mejishi Martial Arts
- Moving Companies
- Two Men and a Truck
- Real Estate/Agent
- RE/MAX Showcase Homes
- Religious & Spiritual
- Central Woodward Christian Church
- Social/Community Organizations
- Al Gamea
- Michigan Roundtable for Diversity and Inclusion
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Lisa Kudrow On Judging 'Drag Race' (As Valerie Cherish!) & Gays Being Biologically 'Superhuman'
- Q&A: Andy Cohen On His (Almost) Tell-All Book, 'Nasty' Names Gays Call Him
- GOP Hopeful Wants 'Christians' Fleeing MI If Gays Get Civil Rights
- Divine Intervention: Bette Midler Talks Early Gay Support, 'Diva' Degradation & Twerking ('Girls, Please!')
- Creep of the Week: Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!