Between Ourselves Greg Moore
by Jessica Carreras
Originally printed 5/13/2010 (Issue 1819 - Between The Lines News)
Greg Moore is the new co-chair of marketing and fundraising for WINGS, a 15-year-old support and social group for people affected by HIV/AIDS. Moore, a resident of Washington Township., hopes to provide more outreach throughout the community and social opportunities for HIV-positive people in Michigan through his volunteer work.
1) How did you get involved with WINGS?
About six months ago a dear friend of mine passed away and I found myself with no purpose or direction in life. I was at a bar in metro Detroit and a friend of mine suggested that I volunteer for a charity, and he suggested WINGS.
2) What do you do for the group?
I volunteered for WINGS and discovered that they needed help in their marketing and fundraising division. I've had some fundraising experience in the past, so I kicked it into high-gear to help Tod Scott, who is the chief fundraiser.
3) What is the group's mission?
WINGS is an all-volunteer organization serving persons affected by HIV/AIDS. We support life through social, cultural, emotional, educational and recreational activities in a compassionate, empathetic, safe and healthy atmosphere.
We promote physical, emotional and spiritual wellness through a range of activities, such as our weekly peer support group, retreats, theater and monthly potluck dinners.
We also own and operate Wings Over the Lake. Wings Over the Lake is a group of eight cottages and a community house on the western shore of Lake Huron. This allows us to host retreats and provide low, reduced-rate cabins to the HIV/AIDS community.
Our group activities are provided free or at a reduced cost, since many participants are living on fixed incomes. Support for these activities come from private financial and in-kind donations, fundraising and grants.
4) Wings has been around for almost 15 years. How is the group re-vamping itself?
I'm so proud of everyone in this group. We are more organized than ever. We have a new logo, new people and a lot of great input and ideas. It's incredible!
We have a lot of new sponsors and donors, which include Delta Airlines, Master Jewelers of Romeo, Nino Salvaggio's of Royal Oak, Leather Works of Washington Township, the Marriot of Utica, the Hyatt of Utica and on and on.
5) What are some of the events coming up for WINGS?
We will have the Studfinders Auction at the Hayloft Saloon on June 4-6. We have a biker weekend booked at our cabins in August. Some time this summer, we're hoping to have a wine tasting on the lake at the cabins (www.cutestcabins.com).
We'd also like to have a conference and luncheon there for area agencies.
The cabins are available to everyone. Keep in mind, when you rent one of our cabins, you are supporting not just our charity, but the community at large, because we do donate to other great causes. We are a 501(c)3 charity, so if you want to come to one of our support group meetings on Monday nights or volunteer or even donate, that would be great.
By this time next year, you're really going to see WINGS soar!
WINGS meets at 7-9 p.m. Mondays at the Drayton Avenue Presbyterian Church, located at 2441 Pinecrest in Ferndale. To learn more, visit http://www.wingsmi.org.
- Honoring The Death Of Trans Sisters And Brothers
- Trans In Michigan? The ACLU Wants To Hear From You
- Schuette Wants State's 300 Same-Sex Marriages Voided
- Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Expansion Precarious
- Renowned Gay Writers To Visit Ann Arbor
- New MI Group Aims To Pass Fully Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
- Facebook Community Reacts To 6th Circuit Ruling
- Pay It Forward This Holiday Season
- Federal Court Rules 2011 Law Prohibiting Domestic Partner Benefits Unconstitutional
- States In 6th Circuit Request SCOTUS Review
- AT&T National 'Will Only Support Fully Inclusive Bill' On Civil Rights
- Michigan GOP Pushes Non-Inclusive Elliott-Larsen Amendment
- Upcoming Community Michigan LGBT Marriage Conversations
- Statewide Campaign For Gender Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
- The Long Shot Move To Pass Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
- Jeremy Moss To Be Next State House Representative
- People Of Faith Invited To Community Conversation
- Obituary: Ernest B. Gutierrez 'Tito'
- Michigan's Marriage Ban Draws Strong Reaction
- Jon Hoadley: Next State House Rep. District 60
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Oakland County Health Division
- Hearth Home
- Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Downtown
- Banquet Hall/Catering
- Epicurean Catering and Events
- West Michigan Gay Men's Chorus
- Heating & Cooling
- Otto A. Trzos Company
- Religious & Spiritual
- Full Truth Fellowship Of Christ Church
- Grace Episcopal Church
- Performance Network
- Women's Health
- Sexual Health Services, Planned Parenthood of West and Northern Michigan
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Lisa Kudrow On Judging 'Drag Race' (As Valerie Cherish!) & Gays Being Biologically 'Superhuman'
- Q&A: Andy Cohen On His (Almost) Tell-All Book, 'Nasty' Names Gays Call Him
- GOP Hopeful Wants 'Christians' Fleeing MI If Gays Get Civil Rights
- Divine Intervention: Bette Midler Talks Early Gay Support, 'Diva' Degradation & Twerking ('Girls, Please!')
- Creep of the Week: Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!