Between Ourselves Greg Moore
by Jessica Carreras
Originally printed 5/13/2010 (Issue 1819 - Between The Lines News)
Greg Moore is the new co-chair of marketing and fundraising for WINGS, a 15-year-old support and social group for people affected by HIV/AIDS. Moore, a resident of Washington Township., hopes to provide more outreach throughout the community and social opportunities for HIV-positive people in Michigan through his volunteer work.
1) How did you get involved with WINGS?
About six months ago a dear friend of mine passed away and I found myself with no purpose or direction in life. I was at a bar in metro Detroit and a friend of mine suggested that I volunteer for a charity, and he suggested WINGS.
2) What do you do for the group?
I volunteered for WINGS and discovered that they needed help in their marketing and fundraising division. I've had some fundraising experience in the past, so I kicked it into high-gear to help Tod Scott, who is the chief fundraiser.
3) What is the group's mission?
WINGS is an all-volunteer organization serving persons affected by HIV/AIDS. We support life through social, cultural, emotional, educational and recreational activities in a compassionate, empathetic, safe and healthy atmosphere.
We promote physical, emotional and spiritual wellness through a range of activities, such as our weekly peer support group, retreats, theater and monthly potluck dinners.
We also own and operate Wings Over the Lake. Wings Over the Lake is a group of eight cottages and a community house on the western shore of Lake Huron. This allows us to host retreats and provide low, reduced-rate cabins to the HIV/AIDS community.
Our group activities are provided free or at a reduced cost, since many participants are living on fixed incomes. Support for these activities come from private financial and in-kind donations, fundraising and grants.
4) Wings has been around for almost 15 years. How is the group re-vamping itself?
I'm so proud of everyone in this group. We are more organized than ever. We have a new logo, new people and a lot of great input and ideas. It's incredible!
We have a lot of new sponsors and donors, which include Delta Airlines, Master Jewelers of Romeo, Nino Salvaggio's of Royal Oak, Leather Works of Washington Township, the Marriot of Utica, the Hyatt of Utica and on and on.
5) What are some of the events coming up for WINGS?
We will have the Studfinders Auction at the Hayloft Saloon on June 4-6. We have a biker weekend booked at our cabins in August. Some time this summer, we're hoping to have a wine tasting on the lake at the cabins (www.cutestcabins.com).
We'd also like to have a conference and luncheon there for area agencies.
The cabins are available to everyone. Keep in mind, when you rent one of our cabins, you are supporting not just our charity, but the community at large, because we do donate to other great causes. We are a 501(c)3 charity, so if you want to come to one of our support group meetings on Monday nights or volunteer or even donate, that would be great.
By this time next year, you're really going to see WINGS soar!
WINGS meets at 7-9 p.m. Mondays at the Drayton Avenue Presbyterian Church, located at 2441 Pinecrest in Ferndale. To learn more, visit http://www.wingsmi.org.
- Richard Bernstein: The Face Of Blind Justice
- Ally vs. Extremist: McKenzie Seeks 11th District Win
- Marriage Equality: 'It's Coming' Say LGBT Advocates
- WMU To Award LGBT Alumna At Homecoming Event
- Launch Of The 2014 Michigan Voter Guide
- Ann Arbor Adopts Updated Non-Discrimination Ordinance
- Upcoming Mental Health Training Is Joined By Sex Therapist
- Co-Founder Awards Substantial Gift To Equality Michigan
- Michigan Roundtable To Honor Michigan Social Justice Advocates
- LGBT Jewelry Collection Comes To Tapper's
- Pastors Declare Challenge To Civil Rights For Michigan LGBT Community
- Mark Totten Seeks Attorney General Seat, Speaks On Schuette
- MSHDA Under Investigation, Snyder Fundraiser Raises Questions
- ACLU Dinner Honors Local Heroes
- Masquerave At ARTLABJ And Saginaw
- Coming Out With Self and With Michigan
- Michigan For Marriage Community Conversation
- A Solid LGBT Ally In Peters
- Gary Peters Releases Statement On SCOTUS Decision
- Marriage 'Decision Day' Gatherings To Be Held Throughout State
- The Dearborn Inn
- Adoption Services
- Hands Across The Water
- Williams Volkswagen
- Northern Auto Repairs
- Roseville Goodyear
- Foundations and Funders
- The Gill Foundation
- Physicians/Gynecology & Obstetrics
- Comprehensive Women's Health, P.C.
- Michigan Foot and Ankle
- Social/Community Organizations
- Billionaire Boys Club
- Oakland University Dept. of Music, Theatre & Dance
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
"This is literally a drug that you can take to reduce your risk of contracting HIV. Why isn't this available to everyone, everywhere?" - Katelyn Tonge, an Albion College student leaderView More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!