Bloggers call for nationwide kissing demonstration
Originally printed 7/30/2009 (Issue 1731 - Between The Lines News)
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -
Gay rights activists are organizing a nationwide string of kissing demonstrations in response to the treatment of gay couples in Utah and Texas who tangled with security guards or police after kissing in public.
The Great Nationwide Kiss-In is scheduled for Aug. 15. Events are planned for at least seven cities, including Boston, New York, Houston, Portland, Ore., and three California cities _ Irvine, San Diego and San Francisco.
A Web page and Facebook page promoting the demonstrations says more events are in the works.
A pair of bloggers, David Badash, of New York, and David Mailloux, of Boston, are behind the plans, along with the organization Join the Impact.
They say the events are not a protest against those who oppose gay rights. But they say people should be allowed to freely express their affection.
The Great Nationwide Kiss-In: http://greatnationwidekissin.com
- Art Galleries
- Park West Gallery
- Freedom Law, PC
- Triangle Chiropractic
- Families and Parents
- PFLAG Traverse City
- Top Of The Lamp
- Leather Gear
- Noir Leather
- Photo Booth
- Rock the Booth
- Religious & Spiritual
- First Presbyterian Church of Birmingham
- Oakland Veterinary Referral Services
- Ann Arbor Cat Clinic
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- LeAnn Rimes Q&A: 'Eddie & I Are A Gay Man's Wet Dream'
- Why Jason Mraz Won't Kiss & Tell: 'I've Spoken Up For The Things That Are Important To Me'
- Equality Michigan Stands With Allies: Seeking Full Inclusion
"The Ghosts in Our Machine" is a powerful 2013 feature documentary about animal rights, made accessible through the photos and personal journey of well-known international photographer Jo-Anne McArthur and lesbian filmmaker Liz Marshall.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!