compiled by Howard Israel
Originally printed 7/30/2009 (Issue 1731 - Between The Lines News)
"You get one life, one chance at happiness. If it gives you a spiritual semi to fantasize about a God who created you gay but forbids you to act on your emotional and sexual attraction to men, knock your damn self out. But you can have a boyfriend and Jesus, too - look at the pope - you just have to do what people have been doing since the first terrified idiot invented the first bullshit religion: improvise. Find yourself a brand-new religion or sect, or jettison the bits of your current faith that don't work for you."
- Dan Savage, sex advice "Savage Love" columnist, answering a question from a self-described deeply religious 20-year-old male who has "desires of a sexual nature," but can't "indulge the particular desires" because his religion will condemn him "to fates too grotesque to mention," http://www.thestranger.com, July 14.
"Men should be banned from the events because they intimidate the women there. In my experience feminine lesbians are often the target of heterosexual male fantasy, and therefore subject to more intrusive attention from them. It is a major concern that heterosexual males will attend the Pinkalicious event in the hope they can achieve their desire for a sexual experience with multiple women."
- Samantha Stevens, co-director of Pinkalicious, an Australian company specializing in lesbian parties, after winning a court case that allows the company to ban men from its events, http://www.PinkNews.co.uk, July 23.
"Well, it was only a matter of time, wasn't it? According to authorities, one of our own social conservative Republicans (from Tennessee) has been caught cheating on his wife, and he was doing it with a young legislative intern. At this juncture, we're going to resist the temptation to make a joke about family values. That's getting so old it's not funny anymore."
- Jeff Woods, on his blog titled "Sen. Paul Stanley, Champion of Family Values, Caught in Sex-and-Blackmail Scandal," about Sen. Paul Stanley (R-Tenn.) and his affair with a 22-year-old intern, http://www.blogs.nashvillescene.com, July 21. Stanley, a conservative Christian Republican, a married father of two, sponsored legislation to prevent gay couples from adopting children, introduced a bill that prohibited the showing of pornographic materials in a moving vehicle and is on record telling a Planned Parenthood official that he "didn't believe young people should have sex before marriage, that his faith and church are important to him and he promotes abstinence." Stanley's first wife filed for a restraining order against him, charging that he had physically assaulted her three times. He met his second wife while she was a legislative intern.
"There has traditionally been a lot of pain associated with homosexuality in the black community. Harris took a little of that pain away with his life and his books. He really helped let the air in. He helped us all breathe a little better."
- Tananarive Due, author and friend, referring to E. Lynn Harris, openly gay black best-selling novelist, was known for taboo-breaking books about black gay life "on the down-low, " CNN, July 24. Harris, 54, passed away on July 23.
"I have a whole issue about mainstream pop and certainly television culture, and how damaging that is in terms of dumbing down being gay. All those cliches about being gay I think are really limiting whereas in reality it's just a trait, it's like eye colour or hair colour, it's a physical trait. Being gay is somehow an indulgent choice? It infuriates me. I think it appeals to the lowest common denominator that basically there are two types of gay men: the slut or the straight acting guy."
- Darren Hayes, the former singer of the Australian pop duo, Savage Garden, in an interview, on Facebook's Gay Times magazine, about gay stereotypes on television, http://www.pinknews.co.uk, July 22.
- Bridal Gowns
- The Wedding Shoppe
- Campus; Student and Alumni Groups
- University of Michigan - Division of Student Affairs
- University Musical Society
- Exhibition Halls
- Southfield Civic Center - Pavilion
- Pet Grooming
- Animal Haus, Inc.
- Religious & Spiritual
- Community of Christ the Good Shepherd
- Social/Community Organizations
- Dykes on Bikes
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Anti-Gay Company Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Q&A: Reba Talks 'Very Important' LGBT Rights, Her First Gay Wedding & Feeling 'Sad' For Closeted Country Stars
- Q&A: Scott Eastwood Endorses Father's Gay Marriage Mantra, Talks Sex Scenes ('I Was Turned On') & Mel Gibson's Advice
- Is GoFundMe The New Welfare For Anti-Gay Corporations?
- Josh Groban Q&A: His Queer Bear Fans, Failing The Ryan Gosling 'Gay Test' & Why He Worships RuPaul
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!